Categories

Friday, 7 October 2016

The Revenge of Seven by Pittacus Lore (Lorien Legacies, #5) - Book Review

5/5 Stars

Finally, we have the power to fight back...


Edition: Paperback
Pages: 315
Chapters: 30
Publisher: Penguin Books

Book Links: Goodreads
                      Amazon
                      Author's Website (I think, at least in relation to the series.)

Review

Holy crap on a cracker with a resurrected Jesus on top...

I hope that's a suitable outburst of emotion that conveys my awe.

If not: kjuhfiurhcxunihfuixmhifubmihexfuhxwuznwjegnhruxo.

Words have no meaning to me after what I just experienced with The Revenge of Seven. It gives me everything I love about the series: Action, chemistry, and a fascinating fictional story that utilises aliens and superpowers. But the way this entry bashes your mind with sensational surprises just frazzles my synapses.

The Lorien Legacies series, so far, has been able to build with passionate fire. Each book grows more and more cataclysmic and heroic.

And if the ending of The Revenge of Seven is any indicator, things are about to combust in a very conclusive way...

I need oxygen!

Or maybe a life-support machine...

Synopsis

The worst was supposed to be over.
We were reunited after a decade apart.
We were discovering the truth about our past.
We were training and getting stronger every day.
We were even happy...

But we never imagined the Mogadorians could turn one of our own against us. We were fools for trusting Five. And now Eight is lost for ever. I would do anything to bring him back, but that's impossible. Instead, I will do whatever it takes to destroy every last one of them.

I've spent my entire life hiding. That stops now.
We have a new ally who knows their weaknesses.
And we're going to take the battle to them.

Finally, we have the power to fight back...

Plot - 5/5 Stars

The series is definitely moving toward its endgame, and it's doing it with flair. The Revenge of Seven follows a multitude of stories manned by phenomenal personalities, all of which crisscross across the globe on an epic journey that weaves every fibre of its narrative seamlessly. We pick up only a few days after the events of The Fall of Five, and an emotional beginning leads into an action-packed adventure that expands the series' mythology and regales the reader with riveting revelations.

I really wish we could bottle the action this series does so well. As is standard so far, The Revenge of Seven has a solid structure that is practically infallible. Its balance of high-octane events and exposition is perfect, and even when the two collide, you're nothing short of breathless.

And the finale... I just want to blurt out everything in capital letters, but it's better experienced; my little review won't hit you like this novel's conclusion will. What I will tell you is it's catastrophic and exhilarating.

A full-blown invasion is here.

Pace - 5/5 Stars

I read so many fast-paced novels that I'm running out of ways to describe them.

The brilliant balance also has the added benefit of giving the reader a smooth and rapid journey that coalesces into all-out war. 

God, I cannot wait to get to the next instalment.

Characters - 5/5 Stars

The Revenge of Seven, while a story that does wonderful work for all of its cast, focuses on three main viewpoints: Four's, Ten's, and Six's. Being a fan of the series, it's no longer even a slight problem for me to ascertain whose perspective I'm reading from. The layout is done to avoid confusion.

I am a part of these characters now. The author plays so well with morality that, thanks to the histories they've lived through, even when a character does something we would deem wrong, we understand. 

The feel of unity is also a major theme, and while so far we've been avidly awaiting that moment the good guys all come together, it's never occurred to me that one of them could be compromised. But on a larger scale the series is essentially about humanity. The Loric are the better, more nurturing part of the human race, while the Mogadorians are the selfish, destructive part. Light and dark, both battling for dominance, both a startling part of the human condition.

With humanity stuck in the middle of the war between two vastly different races with two radically different ideals, it's hard not to draw the apt parallels between them and our species in reality. And horrifying to see the eventual overlap.

It highlights the core difficulty of living in the real world; all of us have the potential to be good or bad, but most of the time, we're a combination of both.

Writing - 5/5 Stars

Present tense. First-person narration.

It's simple, clean, and direct.

Lightning-quick and informative don't cover it.

You'll love it.

Overall - 5/5 Stars

Yesterday I downloaded United as One, which I think is the seventh and final entry to the series. Before that, though, there's The Fate of Ten, which I'm gagging to start.

Did I mention that cliffhanger?

Has anyone got around to bringing me a life-support machine yet?


Previous Instalment: The Fall of Five
Next Instalment: The Fate of Ten


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment