Categories

Monday, 3 August 2015

Inside & Out Book Tag

So, I'm reading some of the book blogs I follow, checking out what other people thought of a book I love, seeing if there are any I haven't read yet that appeal to me, or just clicking through Book Blog Tags...

...and it hit me.

I started my blog a couple of years ago, and haven't ever done a Tag!

Ever!

I know, what the hell is wrong with me?

Well, several things, but we'll not get into that; instead let's jump into a Tag. I found this one while I was perusing around Vicki's blog which you can find here, and the Tag was created by MathomBooks over on YouTube.


The Inside & Out Book Tag


I
Inside flap/ Back of book summaries: Too much info? Or not enough? (Discuss)

Personally, the length of a book's summary doesn't bother me, it's the content that matters. If I had to pick a preference: Short, sharp and interesting blurbs are probably the best. What I hate, and I mean hate, is when the summary of a book gives you half the story. If I'm reading, and half of the novel is just what I read in the blurb, then I ain't too happy.

N
New book: What form do you want it in? Be honest: Audio book, e-book, paperback, or hardcover?

Paperback. Not that it's one I'm truly bothered about, but paperbacks tend to be cheaper, easier to get hold of, and in a lot of cases, easier to read. The only one out of the options I've tried and not been a fan of are audio books. There's a disconnect for me, hearing instead of reading. And I love reading. If that isn't obvious...

S
Scribble while you read? Do you like to write in your books, taking notes, making comments, or do you keep your books clean clean clean? (Tell us why)

Clean, mostly. I'm not a fan of writing in books, if I'm taking notes I'll take them on my phone, or a separate piece of paper, but never, ever inside the books. The funny thing is, I'm not too fussed over the condition of the book. I buy a lot of second-hand copies of novels (gotta save those pennies), some that have been mercilessly devoured by someone and are split at the spine. Whenever I buy a new book, though, it remains pristine, I know how to care for them, but, mostly, it's what's inside I want most.

Although, I do have to be careful when giving books to my Mum, because she's one of those people whose books are 'well read'...

Sometimes I can even hear the poor things crying out when they're opened...

I
In your best voice, read for us your favourite first sentence from a book.

Hmm, favourite first sentence... I probably have tons, and later one'll pop into my head and I'll swear quite loudly, but here's one I love, and comes straight to me:

'People think I'm crazy because I see lights.'
-- from Darren Shan's, Demon Thief.

How can you not read on with an opener like that?

D
Does it matter to you whether the author is male or female when you're deciding on a book? What if you're unsure of the author's gender?

An author's gender doesn't affect me one bit. I'm not sure I've ever met or spoken to anyone who this does matter to (although, no doubt there are people out there). An author's talent isn't decided by their gender, and if the story sounds good, I'm getting the book. I think, just taking a quick look at my shelves - I can't see all the books - that, female authors just edge out ahead of male ones, but it's coincidence more than anything.

E
Ever read ahead? Or have you ever read the last page way before you got there?

Nope, nooooo, never! Have I been tempted to? Yes. But no, I'm a reader who is terrified of spoilers, or anything that'll impact my enjoyment of a book. It's probably why a lot of my reviews have a spoiler warning, even when the spoilers are minimal and not really an issue; I don't want to ruin anything for a reader.

&

O
Organised bookshelves, or outrageous bookshelves?

I have a combination of both. I keep authors and series in order, but I have so many varying series and book covers that they look a little outrageous. Most people who see them think it's chaos, but I can find whatever I'm looking for in an instant.

U
Under oath: Have you ever bought a book based on the cover (alone)?

Guilty... Although, on the plus side, I don't do it often. The blurb/summary is what gets me most of the time, if not 99% of the time. But, I have, I've grabbed a book and thought, 'Ohhhh, pretty. Take my money!'. 

T
Take it outside to read, or stay in?

I'm definitely a stay in kinda reader. Outside there are just too many distractions, and I'm easily knocked from a train of thought on to another. I do read when I'm travelling, though, depending on how long the journey is, but it's a struggle with so many people around that suddenly find the need to talk to you.

Honestly: If I'm not reading, no one gives a damn who I am, or what my day's like, but have a book, and you're the most interesting thing since the new iPhone...


And that's my first ever Tag done! Whoop! High fives all round, folks! I am a little too excited... But, if you enjoy this Tag, why not do it yourself? Or let me know what you think in the comments?


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment