Categories

Monday, 13 April 2015

How I Write My Reviews


Reviewing, for me, is all about the fun. I'm not overtly critical; my posts are usually short, concise and straight to the point. I list what I like, what I didn't like etc. I don't usually spend too long on any review either. When I started this blog, I would read a book and post my thoughts. I'd go from reading, to reviewing and quickly proofreading, to posting. That regimen has changed over time.

I'm not ashamed to admit it, but the quality of my early reviews, I feel, aren't up to par with my more recent posts.

But I like looking back on them, despite some of the cringes and mistakes, and remind myself that practice makes perfect. Well, not perfect, but better. I've loved the journey, the friends I've made on that journey, and how, overall, I've become a much better blogger. 

I still fall victim to mistakes: Spelling, grammar, tense traps. Oh, tense traps, how you are my greatest enemy.

But back to how I write my reviews. Moving from simply reading then reviewing, I take a lot more notes while reading. Not too many, when I sit down with a book, I want to enjoy it, not feel like I'm taking every sentence apart, but I'll jot down anything that hits me and would contribute to what I post online for others.


Now, I've decided to try and streamline my posts more. I'm not sure if I'll keep it that way; it all depends on whether I like it or not. But I wanted to give you guys a heads up, and for my future reviews you can let me know which way you like the most.

There are five things I mostly focus on when reading and generating a review: Plot, pace, characters, writing and how well everything jells together. That's usually what you'll find in my reviews today. The change I'm going to make, is just to make that structure more obvious by breaking them up into those categories, clearly labelled. Hopefully it'll make writing posts easier, and for anyone that reads them, more understandable.

Essentially, I'm hoping it'll get my points across quicker.

No doubt I'll change everything again further down the line. It could be I add more categories, or try something completely different. 

I'd love to hear from other reviewers on how you guys create your posts, so leave a comment with your genius!


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment