Categories

Thursday, 5 June 2014

4th of July by James Patterson & Maxine Paetro (Women's Murder Club, #4) - Book Review

5/5 Stars



Edition: Paperback
Pages: 414
Chapters: 146
Publisher: Headline

Book Links: Goodreads
                      Amazon
                      Author's Website

Review

By far this has got to be my most favourite instalment in the series. James Patterson and co-author Maxine Paetro have created a fantastic, thrilling and clever novel. I breezed through this book, absolutely hooked and just guzzling the story like it's water in a desert. There's a sort of new thing going on in the book, while the previous novels in the series mostly focus on the police procedural side, with the ball-busting cops and stuff, 4th of July crosses over into the courtroom side of things, and trust me, it makes this book fantastic!

Naturally we're thrown back into the intelligent and tough cop that is Lindsay Boxer. Her and her former partner are hunting another multiple murderer down, and when they catch up to the suspects, they find them to be two teenagers. Instantly, Lindsay goes to their aid, as they crashed during a high-speed pursuit, but as their version of thanks, the kids turn around and open fire on Lindsay and her partner. In self-defense, Lindsay kills one and paralyses the other, and it sets of a chain reaction that has Lindsay forced into a trial that could end everything she's worked for. On top of that, killings in an idyllic town bares an unsettling resemblance to a cold case of Lindsay's from the beginning of her career. In a desperate need to help find an elusive killer, while also battling a family hellbent on revenge, Lindsay has her work cut out for her.

The plot to this novel is simply enthralling. If you're looking for a quick and awesome read, even if you aren't into the crime genre, I promise you will love this book. The story is fantastic, and with it being headed by a strong cast of characters, the book rarely loses any momentum or thrill.
With old and new characters clashing in surprising ways, I found myself tentatively reading reviews for this book. A few people said they didn't really feel the characters, that they were hard to connect with and felt very one dimensional. I disagree. Marathoning the series as I am, you grow close to the characters, with each book revealing a new aspect of them, and you can't help but love them. Even taking this book on its own, the character development for Lindsay alone is enough to keep the story moving forward.

I don't think this next bit counts as a SPOILER, but just in case, I'm putting a WARNING.
Yuki Castellano, the lawyer who represents Lindsay in her trial, is our new Jill. When I say that, I mean that's the position she takes up in the group: The lawyer. I love Jill and felt so bloody devastated when the author had her, well, axed (not literally) in the last novel. Luckily though, I love Yuki as well. The writers do a great job in making her personality stand out in its own unique way, and she's welcomed into the group warmly by the other characters, and also by the fans of the series.

To finish off I'm gonna repeat myself: Even for people who don't think this is there cup of tea, I urge you to give it a shot. It won't take you too long, and I'm almost positive you'll love it as much as I do.


Previous Instalment: 3rd Degree
Next Instalment: The 5th Horseman


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

My Goodreads
My Twitter
Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment