Categories

Sunday, 27 April 2014

Author Interview with K.S. Marsden!


I had the greatest pleasure today :) Today I got to interview Miss K.S. Marsden, author of the Witch-Hunter series, which includes The Shadow Rises and The Shadow Reigns, the first of which I will leave the link for at the bottom. I was watching some Booktubers and reading some blogs and I saw a lot of people having interviews with authors. Not only did I think that was an awesome idea, I had the perfect author in mind to ask if I could interview her. Kelly thankfully agreed to be posed questions, and I am beyond excited to share with you guys her answers. So without further ado, let the questions begin!



1. What is your favourite book or series and why?
That depends on what day it is. I've read some amazing books over the years, but they never really beat the ones you love as a kid, so The Chronicles of Narnia is still up there.

2. If you could live in any fictional world, what world would that be?
Because I can't really answer Narnia twice; I would say either Turgonia, in the Emperor's Edge series by Lindsay Buroker, or Eden, in the Eden series by Janelle Stalder.

3. Who is your favourite character in any novel and why?
Sicarius in Emperor's Edge - because he's dangerous and humorous in his own special way.
Donna Stone in The Housewife Assassin's Handbook - well, the title of the book really says it all.
It seems I have a thing for dangerous assassins.


4. What supernatural gift would you most like to have?
I'd love to be able to fly, who wouldn't. But I am scared of heights.
I wish I could travel in a blink like Hunter can, no more long journeys or traffic jams!


5. Do you prefer digital copies of a novel, or physical?
I like being able to download and read any book, and I use my kindle a lot these days.
But nothing beats a physical book, the touch, the smell. And strangely, being able to quickly glance at the cover and blurb to double-check what I'm reading; I've only recently discovered how much I depend on that after getting a kindle.


6. What was the inspiration behind your novels?
It all stems from a long-running family joke that all the women in our family are witches. It was a subject that interested me from a young age and I picked up a lot of witch-related facts over the years; followed with some serious dissertation-style research into the Malleus Maleficarum when I was old enough to have the patience. Just add some dry humour, and you have The Shadow Rises.

7. What genre or story are you thinking about writing next?
Well, aside from working on the rest of the Witch-Hunter series, I have another project already in mind that will stay in the paranormal fantasy genre. It's at a really sketchy stage right now.

8. Who is your favourite author?
J.K. Rowling, she's an amazing role model for any author.
Matt Haig - a fellow Yorkshireman who has some great books behind him.
Scott Andrews - he's only got one book out so far, but it is one of my top ten.


9. Do you prefer published authors, or indie/self-published ones?
I actually started to seriously consider publishing my own work when I became disheartened by the rubbish on the shelves in my bookshop. I think that with the volume of manuscripts that publishers receive, there's no guarantee the good ones will emerge. The whole industry is moving a lot more towards the digital.
That being said, it's still easier to trust in the authors that are obviously good enough to get a contract. The problem with indie is that so many go into this with good intentions, but no editor.
So... I guess the short answer is I like a good story, regardless of who its written by, or how.


10. What do you think is in store for your future?
Aside from writing enough books to fill at least one shelf on my bookcase - Rio 2016.
Ok, maybe not quite making the Olympics, but I have a cracking horse at the moment; with him I have a chance of making a name for myself in the horseworld.


Dangerous assassins and the ability to blink and be in any place instantly? Add them together and you're on to a winner. 

I want to give another massive thanks to Kelly for taking part in this, I loved your answers, and if you enjoyed this Kelly herself also asked me some questions and you'll see them soon on her blog. Speaking of which here is the link for that:

K.S. Marsden Blog : thenorthernwitchbooks.blogspot.co.uk

Another little point I'd like to segue into is Kelly's books. I highly recommend them, they are fantastic pieces of storytelling. If you love the supernatural, along with evil witches and a dashing protagonist named Hunter, then you should definitely check them out.

Blurb for The Shadow Rises

Witches are real, and to be blunt, they’re all black-hearted, and evil. These are not wiccans, bored housewives and teens that wore too much black, playing with candles and poems; witches are a different breed that use magic with devastating effect.
Charged with stopping the witches, taking whatever measures necessary, there are witch-hunters, all reporting to the Malleus Maleficarum Council (MMC). For hundreds of years witches have been persecuted and when the powerful Shadow Witch rises again, they have their opportunity for revenge.

The best the MMC has to offer, the talented seventh-generation witch-hunting Hunter Astley has his own part to play. In his own way.



 Amazon Link : The Shadow Rises

You can also catch the author herself and updates on her new book over on Twitter @KSMarsden. Give her a follow and some love.
Plus, here is an extra link to Goodreads for ya all: K.S. Marsden

Massive thanks to Kelly and a massive thank you to you reading, I hope you enjoyed it, and you'll go check out a new book. I'll have another blog post up soon :D chow!


Add me, follow me, let's get talking!

Don't forget, you can subscribe by email near the bottom of the blog (on desktop version) and have new posts delivered straight to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment